Wilkes-Barre and the surrounding Wyoming Valley are framed by the Pocono Mountains to the east, the Endless Mountains to the west, and the Lehigh Valley to the south. In this area, natural resources abound, including a number of parks, trails, trout streams, lakes, rivers and forests.
Flowing through the center of it all, the Susquehanna River is the northwestern border of the city. With the scenic Susquehanna River so nearby, this former coal town has transformed into an outdoor enthusiast's paradise for kayaking, whitewater rafting and hiking an extensive system of hiking/biking trails.
- Downtown Wilkes-Barre has Riverfront Parks . 91 acres of open space, just a short walk from Public Square the parks provides a perfect place to get away from the office. Running, hiking and biking, to fishing and boating, nature studies, outdoor concerts and more, are available at the Riverfront Parks system which includes:
- Kirby Park is on the western bank of the Susquehanna River. Kirby Park is one setting for the City of Wilkes-Barre's annual Cherry Blossom Festival (held during the last weekend of April) and the city's 4th of July Celebration. Here you will find tennis courts, a fitness trail, pond, walking paths, running track, softball fields, parking area, volleyball courts, pavilions and more.
- Nesbitt Park also on the west side, across from Kirby Park, is Nesbit Park. It's walking paths and areas for picnicking are opened to the public and is a favorite with local families.
- The River Common, along the eastern bank of the Susquehanna River, includes a 750-person amphitheater, paved walk-ways, gardens, a fishing pier, and the architecturally impressive Market Street Bridge which bisects the park.
- Other Outdoor Activities include: Skiing, golfing, fishing, hiking, kayaking, whitewater rafting, biking, just to name a few.
- Casino: Enjoy gaming at Mohegan Sun Pocono Casino
- Enjoy an AHL affiliate Pittsburgh Penguins hockey game
- Watch the AAA Railriders baseball team at PNC Field
- Check out harness racing at Pocono Downs at Mohegan Sun
- NASCAR and Indy racing at Pocono International Raceway
- Art: Third Friday Artwalk and feature the Marquis and the Sordoni Galleries.
- Education: Luzerne County is home to several major colleges and universities, including Kings College and Wilkes College and two Penn State campuses.